The Czech Republic survived a Russia penalty shot in overtime, then scored the winning goal to take their quarterfinal match, 3-2, at the 2014 IIHF U18 World Championship. Forward Jakub Vrana provided the heroics, scoring the overtime goal, his second goal of the game, a little over five minutes after Russian forward Yevgeni Svevhnikov missed on his penalty shot opportunity.
The Czech Republic came to the 2014 IIHF U18 World Championship believing that they had a squad capable of bringing home a medal, maybe even a golden one. So far, so good for the Czechs as they advanced to the U18 semi-finals with a 3-2 overtime win over Russia in one of four quarterfinal matches that took place on Thursday.
The preliminary round of the 2014 IIHF U18 World Championship is over and the playoff match-ups are set. Despite the odd surprise performances to start off the tournament, the teams have finished off group play in a manner conducive with most expectations coming in. Take a look at who’s up against whom in the playoffs and who you should expect to move on to the next round.
- All-Purpose Israel/Palestine Thread Part II - War in Gaza
- HF Partner: Suggested NHL Draft System: Honour for Connor
- OT: Jets Lounge: The Farts Have Just Started
- Evaluate Chevy - Part II
- Is Success During Original Six Era Relevant?
- Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly Thread Part IV - O'Reilly SIGNS 2 yrs 12M (6M AAV) - No Arbitration