(The picture is courtesy of http://www.hockeyfans.ch)
Name: Sven Helfenstein
Club team: EHC Kloten, Swiss NLA
Position: Left Wing
Height: 5-10 (179cm)
Weight: 167 lbs. (76 kg)
Date of birth: July 30, 1982
Season Team Gms G Asts Pts PIM
97/98 Kloten Jr. B 31 6 8 14 14
98/99 Kloten Jr. A 33 25 18 43 14
98/99 Kloten Jr. A 7 5 3 8 2
98/99 Regular Kloten Sr. 2 0 0 0 0
98/99 Playoffs Kloten Sr. 0 0 0 0 0
+ Anticipates opposition movement well.
+ Creates space for his teammates with intelligent short passes in the offensive zone.
+ Sees his teammates very well and gives great passes.
+ With his passes he increases the linemates options.
- Puck jumps off the stick when he receives sharp passes.
- Puckhandling is reactive, but got better
- Cause of he’s bad puckhandling he has to pass the puck a bit too often.
Playing away from the puck:
+ Breaks into positions to make himself available as pass receiver.
+ He interferes passes well.
+ Can not be made panic.
+ Has no problem to change from defense to offense.
- Too often he seems to be a bit reactive. Tendence: getting better.
- Has problems to change from offense to defense
+ Seldomly goes down, very good balance
+ Wins many fights for the puck in the corners
Shooting: + Has the drive to the net and anticipates deflections well.
+ Shoots also not in perfect balance.
- Not a natural scorer, more the playmaker.
+ Effective at the end of a game.
+ Great in taking hits: prepared, shields puck, body remains upright, absorbes checks well, very often uses hits to his advatage
- Hits not surprisingly
- Hits very soft
- Often misses the player and only hits the board
Sven has the potential to become an effective, playmaking, two-way winger. He could become a useful player for power plays.