News & Features
The Grizzlies are the top minor league affiliate of the Dallas Stars of the National Hockey League.
The Steelheads announced that Utah’s training camp for the 2000-2001 season will open in Boise on Sept. 20 and that the Grizzlies will practice through Sept. 26. Most of the Steelheads players will be included in the Grizzlies’ camp.
The Grizzlies and Steelheads will play a pair of exhibition games at the Bank of America Centre in September.
Grizzlies coach Bob Bourne said he intends to take full advantage of the agreement, sending younger players to Boise to get more skating time and giving other players “a wake-up call.”
Bourne said he will also benefit from having a true affiliate nearby.
Steelheads coach John Olver said that he expected four to six players to be signed to two-way contracts and that those players would move back and forth between the Grizzlies and Steelheads.
He added that there is also the possibility for some three-way contracts, where a player could potentially play for the Steelheads, Grizzlies and Stars in the same season.
Olver thinks the new deal will have an immediate impact in bringing better players to Boise.
Read more »
Read more »
What’s next: After several weeks of intensive activity featuring the Entry Draft, the successful pursuit of new players in the unrestricted free agent market and negotiating with their own restricted free agents, off season activity down at the ACC seems to have abated somewhat… Coach/GM Pat Quinn is currently relaxing on a friend’s yacht somewhere off the Greek Islands… however, when he returns, Quinn must deal with the following pieces of unfinished business…
- Hire a second Assistant Coach to replace the recently departed Alpo Suhonen
- Hire/promote 1 or more front office types to fill several holes in the Hockey Department
- Lock up free agents Perreault, Karpovtsev and others on new multi-year contracts
- Find someone who can quarterback the team’s anemic powerplay
- Decide whether or not to get involved in the upcoming Eric Lindros Sweepstakes
- News Article: Ron MacLean forced to defend himself after comment about French-Canadian referees
- OT: Association Football Thread (New York Red Bulls, USMNT, And All Soccer Discussion)
- Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread
- Around the League LXIII
- Advanced Stats and the 2014 Playoffs Penguins
- Speculation: 1st Goal Prediction Game (2014 Playoff Edition)