Finland began the 2014 World Junior Championship tournament with a solid win over Norway on Friday, defeating that country 5-1. But their usual nemesis, Sweden, defeated Finland on the third day of the tournament, taking a 4-2 decision from the Finns.
Hershey Bears defenseman Connor Carrick has had an eventful season so far in the 2013-14 campaign. He started the season as a 19-year-old NHL rookie, suiting up for the Washington Capitals for three early-season contests. He was then sent to the Bears for more seasoning, where he has appeared in 13 games so far this season.
It's been an exciting eight months for Danny Kristo. The 23-year-old winger for the Hartford Wolf Pack – the AHL affiliate of the New York Rangers – has gone from playing in the NCAA national quarter-final at the University of North Dakota to playing in the last stretch of a losing season with the AHL's Hamilton Bulldogs, and now establishing himself as a star with the Wolf Pack following a July trade.
The Hockey's Future Calder Trophy poll for November reflected the depth of the 2013-14 rookie class as 22 players received votes from members of the staff. This month's Top 10 was impacted by several early season call-ups who have emerged while a handful of players who opened the season with a bang but then cooled off are no longer in this month's Top 10 (actually eleven since there was a tie for the 10th spot).
- Series where you thought the turning point had occurred...
- GDT: #12 – Sabres at Penguins – Sat Nov 1, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, SN1 – WGR
- GDT: Los Angeles Kings at Carolina Hurricanes — November 2, 2014, 2:00 p.m. (PST)
- Can NJD make it to the playoffs?
- What if the NHL embraced the future of sports gambling, similar to Adam Silvers take?
- GDT: Jets @ Rangers Oct 31st 2014 - 6pm Central Time