Photo: Boston Bruins prospect Matt Benning plied his trade in the AJHL last season and has now moved over to the USHL (courtesy of Dubuque Fighting Saints)
Matt Benning and Peter Quenneville have three things in common:
They are both from Alberta.
They both played in the AJHL for two years.
And they are teammates on the Dubuque Fighting Saints.
Photo: Clarkson University captain and Boston Bruins prospect Ben Sexton hopes to stay healthy for the first time during his college career (courtesy of Clarkson University Athletics)
Many players that miss an extended amount of time due to injury may lose touch with their teammates inside the locker room. It can be hard for a player to step into a leadership role when he has spent nearly as much time on the ice as he has off.
Photo: Columbus Blue Jackets prospect Mike Reilly capped off a strong 2011-12 season with an invite to USA Hockey's WJC camp (courtesy of Bruce Bennett/Getty Images Sport)
As the Columbus Blue Jackets continue the process of converting the team from cellar dweller to playoff contender, one area they could definitely look to improve is their offensive attack. One Blue Jackets' prospect that could eventually aid that cause would be defenseman Mike Reilly.
Photo: Though he started the 2011-12 season in the AHL, two-way winger Carl Hagelin finished it in the NHL on a line with stars Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik. (Jeanine Leech/Icon SMI)
The New York Rangers' prospects had an excellent season, as the fruits of the changes in drafting philosophy continue to bear fruit. The awards include three first round selections and two picks from the 2011 entry draft.
The Canadian Junior Hockey League today announced its Weekly Top 20 rankings. Last week's rankings and the leagues in which the teams belong to are in parenthesis. The weekly rankings are selected in consultation with NHL Central Scouting and are proudly presented by PlayingUpHockey.com:
1. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (1)
2. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (3)
3. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (2)
4. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (5)
5. Wisconsin Wilderness (SIJHL) (4)
6. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (7)
7. Nepean Raiders (CCHL) (8)
8. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (6)
9. Lloydminster Bobcats (AJHL) (10)
10. Dauphin Kings (MJHL) (11)
11. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (13)
12. Newmarket Hurricanes (OJHL) (12)
13. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (9)
14. Cobourg Cougars (OJHL) (17)
15. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (14)
16. Les Cougars du College Champlain – Sherbrooke (LHJAAAQ) (18)
17. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (15)
18. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (20)
19. Cornwall Colts (CCHL) (19)
20. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (16)
Honourable Mention: Surrey Eagles (BCHL), Weyburn Red Wings (SJHL), Soo Eagles (NOJHL), St. Michael's Buzzers(OJHL), Yarmouth Jr. 'A' Mariners (MHL).
Weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the teams play, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.