At the 2014 World Junior Championship in Malmö, Sweden, the Czech Republic had a simple goal of reaching the quarterfinals, at the least. That mission was accomplished and it was a successful tournament for the Czechs, even though it looked at times like they could have gone farther.
The second quarterfinal contest taking place on Thursday at the 2014 World Junior Championship features Finland facing off against the Czech Republic. Finland was probably the more accomplished of the two teams during the preliminary round, but not by so wide a margin that a Czech victory is unthinkable.
The 2014 World Junior Championship is set to begin Thursday in Malmö, Sweden with the Czech Republic squad looking to surprise some observers. The Czechs performed well last year in Ufa, Russia, beating Latvia, Switzerland and Finland before being eliminated by the United States in the quarterfinals following a 7-0 victory for the Americans. The Czechs ended last year's WJC in fifth place, but may be hard pressed to equal that accomplishment this year.
- PGDT-Poll: SCP Game 3| Capitals @ Islanders | Players of the Game Poll | PO Edition | F/TBD
- Who is the best Sharks coach in history?
- Newcomer Garbowsky feels at home in Rochester
- Proposal: Lucic for grabner+
- NBA: San Antonio Spurs at Los Angeles Clippers, 19/4, 10:30PM EST
- NBA: Memphis Grizzlies at Portland Trail Blazers, 19/4, 8:00PM EST