The Czech Republic survived a Russia penalty shot in overtime, then scored the winning goal to take their quarterfinal match, 3-2, at the 2014 IIHF U18 World Championship. Forward Jakub Vrana provided the heroics, scoring the overtime goal, his second goal of the game, a little over five minutes after Russian forward Yevgeni Svevhnikov missed on his penalty shot opportunity.
The Czech Republic came to the 2014 IIHF U18 World Championship believing that they had a squad capable of bringing home a medal, maybe even a golden one. So far, so good for the Czechs as they advanced to the U18 semi-finals with a 3-2 overtime win over Russia in one of four quarterfinal matches that took place on Thursday.
The preliminary round of the 2014 IIHF U18 World Championship is over and the playoff match-ups are set. Despite the odd surprise performances to start off the tournament, the teams have finished off group play in a manner conducive with most expectations coming in. Take a look at who’s up against whom in the playoffs and who you should expect to move on to the next round.
- best pump up songs for hockey
- Player Discussion: 2015 Offseason & Lineup Discussion Part II
- Super 15 rugby union final: Hurricanes vs Highlanders, 4 July, 8:35am GMT
- 2015 NHL Offseason Thread III (current news, expansion, trade rumors, free agency)
- Formula 1: British Grand Prix, 5 July, 1pm GMT
- 2015-16 Standing Predictions