For some members of Finland's 2014 World Junior Championship entry, it was a final opportunity to win a gold medal at the U20 level. For Finnish defenseman Mikko Vainonen, it was his first and only chance to win gold at that level, and he made the most of it.
There is no question that Finland defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen left his mark on his country's gold medal win at the 2014 World Junior Championship, as the big defender netted the golden goal to help Finland take their first gold medal at this event since 1998. But one of Ristolainen's blueline brethren, Ville Pokka, may have been Finalnd's most consistently effective defensemen at this WJC.
It was a nearly identical gold medal-winning goal as the one scored two years by Mika Zibanejad, only this time, Sweden was on the receiving end. Finland defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen grabbed the puck along the boards and powered his way to the front of Sweden's net to beat Oscar Dansk for the overtime goal, giving the Finns a stunning 3-2 win in the finale of the 2014 World Junior Championship.
- If Torres committed Brown's hit on Coutore how many life sentences would he get?
- Rugby World Cup Group C: New Zealand vs Tonga, 9 Oct, 3pm ET
- GDT: 10/8/15 - 7:30PM EDT - Philadelphia VS Tampa Bay
- Help Me Pick a D-Man (points only)
- 1980s Oilers and 4 on 4
- GDT: #1 - SENATORS at SABRES – THU OCT 8 @ 7:00 PM ET – MSG-B, BELL TV, RDS, TSN5 – WGR