The preliminary round of the 2014 IIHF U18 World Championship is over and the playoff match-ups are set. Despite the odd surprise performances to start off the tournament, the teams have finished off group play in a manner conducive with most expectations coming in. Take a look at who’s up against whom in the playoffs and who you should expect to move on to the next round.
Finland, the host team for the 2014 IIHF U18 World Championship, finished fifth in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament last summer despite winning three of the four games it played. With a number of key additions — particularly on defense — the U18 team competing in Imatra and Laapenranta should be stronger than the team that skated in Piestany, Slovakia.
No country has had as much success developing goaltenders in recent years as Finland.
But with 14 Finland-trained goalies playing in North America and another nine playing in Europe in either the KHL or in Sweden's SHL, the number of drafted prospects playing in Finland's Liiga has dwindled to just five.
- HOH Top Players of All-Time #1
- Top 20 Defensemen Going into the 14-15 NHL Season: #19
- News Article: SI: Toronto among 3 other cities due for expansion teams in 2017
- Sport Business News's Bloom: NHL Expanding to Four Cities by 2017
- Future HHOF players on YOUR team
- I want this fingernail polish (and will give to all my nieces and newphews, cousins)