Below is the final part of Hockey's Future's 2012 Spring Organizational Rankings. The rankings were determined by taking each NHL team's entire prospect pool into consideration as well as the likelihood those prospects are to meet their maximum potential. For reference, each team's top five prospects are included, as well as the players they have graduated, traded, or added to their pool over the 2011-12 season. To be eligible, a player must meet HF's prospect criteria. The rankings are done twice each season, in the fall and spring.
Team Depth Chart of NHL Prospects
- Plenty of players with two-way upside
- Defensive depth
- Depth at center
- Lack of elite upside throughout system
- Lack of depth on both wings
Legend of Players' Leagues
- Playing in N.A. Pro (NHL, AHL, ECHL, etc.)
- Playing in CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL)
- Playing in NCAA
- Playing in Europe
- Playing in Junior 'A' (USHL, BCHL, AJHL, etc.)
- Not Categorized Yet
The Minnesota Wild took a major step toward improving their club from within with the signing of their top prospect, Mikael Granlund. Granlund is considered by some to be the top prospect currently playing outside of the NHL.
Russell Lansford/Icon SMI)
Over the last several seasons the Minnesota Wild have filled their pipeline to the brim with highly regarded prospects; a strategy which is starting to pay early dividends at the NHL level. Below is the inaugural edition of the Wild's prospect awards.
Vincent Muzik/Icon SMI)
Last summer, Jonas Brodin was one of the fast risers at the 2012 NHL Draft, ultimately being taken 10th overall by the Minnesota Wild. That draft ranking came on the strength of some regular SEL play for the Swedish champion Farjestad, as well as a top-flight performance at the 2011 U18 World Championship. This past season was yet another eventful one for the 18-year-old, most especially in light of his WJC gold medal performance.
- Series where you thought the turning point had occurred...
- GDT: #12 – Sabres at Penguins – Sat Nov 1, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, SN1 – WGR
- GDT: Los Angeles Kings at Carolina Hurricanes — November 2, 2014, 2:00 p.m. (PST)
- Can NJD make it to the playoffs?
- What if the NHL embraced the future of sports gambling, similar to Adam Silvers take?
- GDT: Jets @ Rangers Oct 31st 2014 - 6pm Central Time