The QMJHL may not be traditionally viewed as a fertile development ground for defensemen. But recent history has proved the opposite, with the league producing NHL talent such as Florida's Dmitri Kulikov and Pittsburgh's Kris Letang as well as top prospects like Montreal's Nathan Beaulieu and Phoenix's Brandon Gormley.
Thoughts accumulated on a two-week trip that took me through eight states and four provinces. Lots of snow and lots of coffee.
Valentin Zykov might be a Russian playing junior hockey for a Quebec-based team, but the burly right winger proved he belonged on Team Cherry during the 2013 Home Hardware CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game this week.
The final result may not have been what the local fans in Halifax were hoping to see but the 2013 Home Hardware NHL/CHL Top Prospects Game did not disappoint in delivering plenty of skill, speed and physical play. When the last buzzer sounded, Team Orr had beaten Team Cherry by the score of 3-0 in what was the first shutout in the history of the Top Prospects Game.
- GDT: Chicago Blackhawks at Los Angeles Kings - November 29, 2014 - 7:00 p.m. (PST)
- Celebrity Death: Author P.D James (Children of men) age 94
- Pre-Game Talk: Rangers - Flyers (11/28/14)
- What team(s) that have started out strong, are most likely to fade?
- Value of: Frolik to Montreal
- Robidas value is showing now.