While there appeared to be some nerves early on among the group of 40 players competing at the 2014 BMO CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Calgary, the teams were able to find a way to settle in and provide at least two periods of fast-paced, entertaining hockey.
With 40 of the top junior players from the Canadian Hockey League arriving in this bustling National Hockey League city in wintery western Canada, there is a very solid chance this annual all-star game of sorts will capture plenty of attention from Calgary and area sports fans when Team Cherry faces off against Team Orr in the 2014 BMO CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game on Wednesday night.
The QMJHL was the toast of the hockey world at the 2013 NHL Draft. Not only had the league just taken home their third consecutive Memorial Cup win, this time courtesy of the Halifax Mooseheads, but two of that team's top players went first and third in the NHL Draft. Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin were joined by four other QMJHL players hearing their name called in the first round, and a total of 31 QMJHL players were chosen in last year's draft.
Forward Anthony Mantha (DET) is the Hockey's Future Prospect of the Month for December. An offensively prolific player since the start of the 2013-14 season, Mantha took his game to another level in December, with 14 points in five QMJHL games and 10 points through the preliminary round of the 2014 World Junior Championship.
- GDT: Montréal Canadiens @ Phoenix Coyotes | 7 p.m. MST | FSA+
- GDT: #62| Penguins Ocean; Brave this storm in waves @ San Jose| 3-6-14|10:30pm|Sharktank
- Value of: 3x1sts vs 1st overall
- GDT: Game 64: Penguins @ Sharks, 7:30pm, CSN-CA, NBCSN
- GDT: LXIV | "Whose Line Is It Anyways" | Oilers vs. Isles | 3.6.14 | 7:30PM | SNET-W
- David Desharnais a legit #2 centerman