The development of goaltenders in Canada has been a cause of concern for quite some time, especially with how it affects international competitions like the World Juniors.
The QMJHL may not be traditionally viewed as a fertile development ground for defensemen. But recent history has proved the opposite, with the league producing NHL talent such as Florida's Dmitri Kulikov and Pittsburgh's Kris Letang as well as top prospects like Montreal's Nathan Beaulieu and Phoenix's Brandon Gormley.
Thoughts accumulated on a two-week trip that took me through eight states and four provinces. Lots of snow and lots of coffee.
Valentin Zykov might be a Russian playing junior hockey for a Quebec-based team, but the burly right winger proved he belonged on Team Cherry during the 2013 Home Hardware CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game this week.
- GDT: Game #64 | Detroit Red Wings @ New York Rangers | 12:30 PM EST | NBC
- GDT: Red Wings @ Rangers - 12:30 PM - NBC
- Pre-Game Talk: Pens at Capitals, March 10th, 2014
- I give up on the following...
- Injury Report: Price Back on the Ice, Gorges with minor fracture to a hand
- Watch how the Leafs tighten things up come playoff time....