Although Sweden put forth a game effort in their gold medal showdown with the USA at the 2013 World Junior Championship, Team USA proved to be a worthy opponent as they dethroned the Swedes as tournament champions with a 3-1 victory in Ufa, Russia.
Sweden's roster at the 2013 World Junior Championship features several players that have been drafted by NHL teams. But one 1993-born player that was passed over in the previous two drafts is having a good showing at this WJC, perhaps making himself more of a commodity once the 2012-13 season has ended.
Sweden's roster for the 2013 World Junior Championship features a handful of players that are eligible for the NHL Draft for the first time. While blue-chip prospects like Elias Lindholm and Robert Hagg have been given enough ice time to show off their skills, a highly regarded prospect like Jacob de la Rose has had to fill a more limited role that may not be a perfect fit for his abilities.
For Sweden's Filip Forsberg, the 2013 World Junior Championship provides a chance to cement the idea that Sweden has arrived as a hockey power at the junior level. Forsberg was a part of his country's gold medal squad at the 2012 World Juniors, with his performance at that tournament no doubt helping to solidify his stock for the 2012 NHL Draft.
- GDT: Montréal Canadiens @ Phoenix Coyotes | 7 p.m. MST | FSA+
- GDT: #62| Penguins Ocean; Brave this storm in waves @ San Jose| 3-6-14|10:30pm|Sharktank
- Value of: 3x1sts vs 1st overall
- GDT: Game 64: Penguins @ Sharks, 7:30pm, CSN-CA, NBCSN
- GDT: LXIV | "Whose Line Is It Anyways" | Oilers vs. Isles | 3.6.14 | 7:30PM | SNET-W
- David Desharnais a legit #2 centerman