In what was a see-saw battle ultimately decided in a shootout, the USA defeated Russia, 4-3, to move on to their fifth consecutive gold medal game at the U18 World Junior Championship. Team USA's opponent in the championship game will be Canada, who are going for their first gold medal win in five years at this event.
When it comes to competing for gold at the U18 World Junior Championship, perhaps Canada should lobby to have the tournament in Russia every year. Russian ice has been kind to the Canadians at this tournament as Canada has won gold the two most recent times the U18 has been held in Russia.
For the first time since 2008, Canada will be competing for gold at the U18 World Junior Championship. The Canadians moved on to the gold medal game at this year's event by virtue of their 3-1 win over Finland in a semi-final match that took place at the Bolshoy Ice Dome in Sochi, Russia.
Below is the middle section of the Hockey's Future Spring NHL Team Rankings, the staff's ranking of each NHL team's system based on the strength of the entire prospect pool. For reference, just the top five prospects are listed. To be eligible, a prospect must meet HF's prospect criteria. The ranking is done twice a year, with this edition being an update to the Fall ranking.
- Series Talk: Western Semifinal: (1) Chicago Blackhawks vs. (7) Detroit Red Wings Part II
- The Armchair GM Thread - XLI
- Official 2013 Memorial Cup Thread - Saskatoon, SK - May 17th-26th, 2013
- Is Marchand dirty?
- Useless Thread DIII: Champions League Final Tailgate
- Post-series Talk: Eastern Semifinal: Pittsburgh Penguins defeat Ottawa Senators 4 games to 1