Maple Leafs remain unbeaten in preseason.
The St. John’s Maple Leafs improved their record to 2-0-0 in the preseason with a 5-4 overtime victory against the Hamilton Bulldogs on Friday. Bobby House (2G,A) and rookie, Alexei Ponikarovsky (G,2A), led the club with 3 points each. Other goal scorers for St. John’s were David Cooper and Chad Allan. Jason Sessa had a pair of assists in the win. Mike Minard played the entire game for St. John’s, stopping 27 of the 31 shots he faced. The Maple Leafs led 3-2 after the first period and held a 4-2 lead after two periods. St. John’s also outshot Hamilton 44-31. Referee, Mike Hasenfrantz, handed out 112 minutes in penalties, including 57PIM to the Maple Leafs and 55PIM to the Bulldogs. Overall St. John’s was 2 for 13 with the man advantage, while Hamilton went 4 for 14.
* St. John’s outshot Hamilton 18-4 in the second period of Friday’s game.
* Bobby House and Alexei Ponikarovsky lead the club in preseason scoring with 3 points each.
* David Cooper has scored in both preseason games for St. John’s.
* There were 3 fights in the Hamilton contest, including 2 involving Jacques Lariviere.
* Lance Galbraith leads the team in penalty minutes with 14.