MoDos great youth (5/1/98)
The history of MoDos fine youth program started in 1988. Yes MoDo has had youth stars even before this year. Thomas Gradin, Bo Berglund and Anders Hedberg all played in MoDo at an early age, but it was in 1988 that things really started to happen.
Angermanland has their best roster ever in the TV Puck, and the final against Stockholm was no problem at all. Markus Näslund who played for Ovik at that time, scored a hat trick and was choosen as best forward. The main thing that made it possible to start this youth program was the building of the new arena, the MoDo Hall. This made it possible to train and play more. The Hockey gymnasium woke up again after a few years without any big stars emerging. In the autumn of 89 all the players born in 1973 started playing at the hockey gymnasium. Those players included Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Hans Jonsson,Magnus Wernblom,Fredrik Bergqvist, Henrik Gradin and Andreas Salomonsson, all of whom played in the swedish league for MoDo.
The ECHL Prospect Update will be used to spotlight players who have a chance to make an impact at the next level, whether it be the AHL, IHL, or the NHL.
All stats as of 3/2/98
David Van Drunen Team: Baton Rouge Kingfish Pos: Defense
Ht: 6′ Wt: 200 Born: Sherwood Park, Alta 1/31/76
Contract: Ottawa Senators ( signed free agent contract on May 2, 1997 )
David has been described by Kingfish Head Coach Dave Schultz ( yes, “The Hammer” himself ) as “a great young talent that has the potential to become a very good professional”. After being assigned to Baton Rouge on November 7th, Van Drunen has been solid on the blueline. He currently leads the team in the plus/minus catagory with a plus-8. While he has been steady in his own end , he has also chipped in some offense , with 7 goals and 15 assists.
Notes: Played entire junior career with the Prince Albert Raiders of the WHL….earned a spot on this years ECHL All-Star team….5 games with Hershey of the AHL this season.
Kevin Popp Team: Birmingham Bulls Pos: Defense
Ht: 6′ 2″ Wt: 212 Hometown: Surrey, BC Born: 2/26/76
Drafted By: Buffalo Sabres 119th overall 1995
As of Mid-January 1998, here is my current feeling as to the Sabres top
Rank Player Ht. Wt. Age Location (league) +/- from Dec.
1. Erik Rasmussen 6-2 207 21 Rochester (AHL) new
2. Cory Sarich 6-3 182 19 Saskatoon (WHL) -1
3. Mika Norinen 6-1 191 18 Tappara (Finland) new
4. Alexei Tezikov 6-1 198 19 Moncton (QMJHL) -2
5. Maxim Afinogenov 5-11 176 18 Moscow Dynamo (Russia) -2
6. Darren Van Oene 6-3 207 19 Brandon (WHL) ---
7. Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre 6-3 207 20 Rochester (AHL) ---
8. Vaclav Varada 6-0 200 21 Rochester (AHL) -3
9. Luc Theoret 6-2 197 18 Lethbridge (WHL) +3
10. Scott Nichol 5-8 160 22 Rochester (AHL) ---
11. Jeff Martin 6-2 177 18 Windsor (OHL) +5
12. Kamil Piros 6-1 186 18 Litinov (Czech Rep.) new
13. Torrey Diroberto 6-0 186 19 Seattle (WHL) new
14. Jeremy Addouno 5-11 182 18 Sudbury (OHL) -1
15. Henrik Tallinder 6-3 196 18 AIK (Sweden) new
16. Sergei Klimentiev 5-11 200 22 Rochester (AHL) -1
17. Francois Methot 6-0 175 20 Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL) -3 Read more»
Today we will wrap things up by looking at Buffalo’s prospects at the center
Star rating read as follows:
5 stars = Superstar potential
4 stars = A First Rate NHL player. Above average player
3 stars = Good NHL future. An average NHL player.
2 stars = Good minor league player. A below average NHL player.
1 star = Career minor leaguer. Emergency NHL help.
Torrey DiRoberto 5-11 180 19 Seattle (WHL) 2 ½ stars
Acquire: 1997 5th round Draft pick, 128th overall
Stats look: as of 1/15/98
15gm 7g 6a 13 pts +2 17 pim
Torrey was drafted last year as a 19-year-old. He is like Brian
Holzinger, similar size, skill and speed. Though perhaps a better
The 97-98 season has proven a difficult one for Torrey. First, he was injured
during last season playoff run. The result was shoulder surgery, which the
Sabres medical team recommended. This kept him out of the Sabres training
camp, plus most of the first three months of the WHL season. He only began to
play in late November. Being out for so long more than likely destroyed his Read more»