After dropping their opener at the 2014 IIHF U18 World Championship, Team USA has strung together three straight wins to finish the preliminary round as the top team in Group B. This could have the U.S. on a collision course with Canada in the gold medal game, which would be a rematch of last year's U18 finale.
For USA Hockey, the IIHF U18 World Championship has become the ultimate opportunity to show its teeth and what the program has achieved. The team has been medaling for years and is coming off a disappointing loss to Canada in last spring’s gold medal game, one in which it outshot its northern neighbors, 35-12. This year’s squad is once again heading to the tournament with gold ambitions in mind, but will be looking a bit different than in years past.
As well as acting as the hub for the Kootenay Ice, Cranbrook, BC is widely regarded for its rich railway history which dates back to the turn of the twentieth century. So it’s almost poetic that Rinat Valiev landed there in an effort to get a potential NHL career back on track.
- News Article: Ron MacLean forced to defend himself after comment about French-Canadian referees
- OT: Association Football Thread (New York Red Bulls, USMNT, And All Soccer Discussion)
- Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread
- Around the League LXIII
- Advanced Stats and the 2014 Playoffs Penguins
- Speculation: 1st Goal Prediction Game (2014 Playoff Edition)