Most of the hockey world is on pins and needles waiting for the lockout to end, but you wouldn’t know it sitting inside Young Arena in Waterloo, Iowa. The team mascot, a large bird named Tommy Hawk with a big Domino's Pizza logo on the back of his jersey, riled up the cowbell-waving fans of the hometown Blackhawks in the stands while others grabbed beer and leafed through the game program, reading about their opponent, the Youngstown Phantoms. Hockey lives on.
During the 2010-11 season, defenseman Paul LaDue was playing for the Alexandria Blizzard of the North American Hockey League, a Tier II junior league known more for producing players for the NCAA rather than the NHL. Just a year later, on June 23rd of this year, he heard his name called at the NHL Draft in Pittsburgh.
The inaugural CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game was a qualified success, with the on-ice action helping to overcome what was a sparse crowd attending this prospect showcase, a game that was won by Team McClanahan, 5-2.
- Around the League 2014 (non-Yotes NHL talk)
- GDT: Jets @ Avs | Nintendo Edition | 7PM MST | March 10th
- Line Combos: New PP & ES lines at practice. Bourque Benched?
- GDT: Devils @ Flyers 7pm 3/11/14: Rooster Cloweburn Part 2
- Canucks meltdown: Worst ever?
- GDT: #66 - 03/11/14 | New York Rangers @ Carolina Hurricanes | 7:00 - MSG