Both teams won their first three games at the 2014 World Junior Championship, but both Russia and the USA also lost key matchups in the final game of the preliminary round, causing those countries to miss out on a less daunting start to the playoff round.
While a majority of the players on the roster for Sweden at the 2014 World Junior Championship were plucked directly from that country, there is a handful of Swedes that are plying their trade in North America. One such player is defenseman Gustav Olofsson, a Minnesota Wild prospect who is currently playing NCAA hockey for Colorado College.
This year’s United States squad will look vastly different from the team that won the gold medal at last year's World Junior Championship held in Ufa, Russia, as Team USA returns only three players from last year’s squad. Among the notable eligible returnees absent from this year’s WJC team are Alex Galchenyuk and Jacob Trouba, both of whom are now playing in the NHL with the Montreal Canadiens and Winnipeg Jets, respectively.
- Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft - Part III
- GDT: 3/11 7:30pm Leafs @ Sharks
- GDT: Leafs @ Sharks Reimer this Reimer that (Reimer versus the Sharks)
- Useless Thread MCLXXXV: Dream Appreciation Thread | Ph.D. in "Broscience"
- Some Jets fans go too far with abuse of 11-year-old in Tavares jersey
- KFC Big Boss has arrived