Gabe Guertler is the first Floridian hockey player to commit to the University of Minnesota. Born and raised in Plantation, he grew up in South Florida near the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, home of the Florida Panthers, but says he spent most of his time underneath the sun.
The name Yale typically brings to mind students in argyle sweaters walking to class on paved walkways with a spiral notebook in hand. Alumni of the university have gone on to be U.S. Presidents, Supreme Court Justices and Academy Award winning actors. Samuel Morse and Eli Whitney call it their alma mater. Sinclair Lewis and Tom Wolfe do, as well.
On the back of University of North Dakota netminder Zane Gothberg’s helmet is a caricature of an elderly woman with long, curly hair, oversized oval-shaped earrings and large, black-rimmed glasses. She is holding a Diet Coke and has a sweater with UND ascribed across her chest. Below the picture are four words:
Love you Grandma Susie.
When you’re a first round draft pick, expectations can be exceedingly high. The challenge of meeting such expectations can be even more daunting when you’re adjusting not only to a higher level of play, but also to a new culture that has established itself as a winner. Such has been the case for Boston College freshman defenseman, Michael Matheson.
- Probably a stupid question about the penalty kill
- Puck hits Getzlaf in face
- OT Hedgefund billionaires to buy NBA Milwaulkee Bucks for ~$550mm
- GDT: PDSF Game 1 - 04.16.14 - at Anaheim - 9:00 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM/96.7 FM
- GDT: Stars vs. Ducks Part 2 (Game 1)
- GDT: Game 1 | Ducks vs. Stars, 7pm PDT (9 central! 10 EDT) - NBCSN