The current tale of the tape, Western Hockey League style, quite convincingly suggests the Portland Winterhawks will probably supply the “long and short of it” when the time comes for NHL teams to make their selections at the 2013 NHL Draft in Newark, New Jersey.
Success stories in life can be measured in different ways. In junior hockey, many of these stories are just beginning to be written. And yet, there are some players that, to date, can already be deemed successful.
Ji Young Li and Michael Mylchreest grew up playing hockey with and against each other in San Jose, CA. Both were members of the Jr. Sharks program and distinguished themselves among their peers by choosing to leave the Bay Area and compete against 16-to-20-year-old's in junior hockey.
Thoughts accumulated on a two-week trip that took me through eight states and four provinces. Lots of snow and lots of coffee.
Our ranking of the drafted WHL defensemen includes a mix of offensively gifted players and prototypical “shut down” defensemen. For this list, the criteria we ranked “signed” prospects currently playing in the WHL. A handful of these defensemen attended their respective NHL training camps.
- Leon Draisaitl
- Sam Reinhart
- Haydn Fleury
- Jake Virtanen
- Julius Honka
- Brycen Martin
- Nikita Scherbak
- Chase De Leo
- Conner Bleackley
- John Quenneville
- Reid Gardiner
- 2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III
- All Things Charlotte Checkers II: The Wrath of Boychuk
- GDT: MDSF #2 - 04/20/14 | Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Rangers | 12:00 - NBC
- Post Game Talk: Preseason Warmups: Columbus - 4, Penguins -3
- Who gets the Stanley Cup winning goal?
- HF Ranks: 50 Funniest TV Characters (50-6 Revealed)