Hockey in Minnesota can be traced back to 1883 when Frank Barron introduced the game of ice polo to the town of St. Paul. 15 years later, the first hockey game in Minnesota would be played under the lights of Athletic Park in Minneapolis. The entire state quickly fell in love with the game and to help aid its growing popularity, communities all over the Gopher State began putting up their own ice rinks.
As well as acting as the hub for the Kootenay Ice, Cranbrook, BC is widely regarded for its rich railway history which dates back to the turn of the twentieth century. So it’s almost poetic that Rinat Valiev landed there in an effort to get a potential NHL career back on track.
Our list of drafted goaltenders playing in the Western Hockey League includes prototypical workhorses, netminders who in most cases are tending the pipes over 80 percent of the time that their teams take the ice.
The top six prospects from last month's rankings are the same six players holding down those slots in this month's list. And in fact, the players are ranked exactly as they were in January, so the ISS view of the draft's top prospects seems to be more settled as the 2013-14 regular season heads towards its conclusion.
- GDT: Game #50 Hawks @ Sharks Jan 31, 2015 7:30PM (PST) CSN-CA, CSN-CH, SN
- Hershey Bears 20,000th goal
- "These are two teams that dislike each other. Those are the games we love to play."
- Prediction Contest: 2014-2015 Jets prediction game (Jan 31 vs Dallas)
- Denis Potvin Q&A
- Prediction Contest: ***Predictions #51: @ Flyers, Jan 31, Sorry meant to post this yesterday